Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gettin' crafty

Let's take a break from the HoB, shall we?

It's no big secret that I ... oy. How does one say this tactfully but honestly?

Me and babies don't mix.

But despite the fact that my blood pressure rises when I hear a whining, screaming child -- one was in the office the other day and I swear, my head almost spun off my neck -- and I rarely hold a baby, I do not hate children. Or babies. I love my nieces and nephews and my friends' kids. I enjoy watching them grow up, seeing their personalities develop and change.

And when family or friends are expecting, I am truly happy for them. Then I go home and have a large glass of wine and hang out with my cats.

Or, in the case of Christine, the wife of Rich's best friend and best man at our wedding, I go home and make a diaper cake. See, their circumstances are a little more unusual, their journey a little longer and more arduous than most. And because Mike and Chris made it possible for me to pull off the yearlong project that was Rich's birthday scrapbook, making a diaper cake for her shower on Sunday seemed like a no-brainer.

WTF is a diaper cake, Brooke?


Heeeee.


I rolled five dozen diapers, built them into tiers and decorated it appropriately. I'll only say this once: Thank you, Woman's World, for providing a very cute craft project.


It took me a little while to track down the right ribbon -- emerald green and white. A few onesies, some socks, little Jets booties ...


I didn't have room to place the clothing into the tiers, so I just used double-sided tape to stick them on the corners.




A few little baby toiletries and a pacifier.

I don't think I have too many of these in me. Usually I give gift cards to baby mamas -- not because I'm lazy, but because I think new parents should use them for whatever needs they get surprised with after the arrival of the baby/babies. But for fellow sports fans ... eh, baby Jake will get gift cards for his birthdays from Crazy Aunt Brooke With the Cats and Uncle Richard.

1 comment:

  1. OMG .... that is just THE BESTEST. It is just too magnificent to actually take apart and use! Only one thing could possibly make it better: Black & Gold :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete