Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Moment of Seriousness

It’s been suggested, er, required, that I post more blogs this year. Especially since this blog was originally my idea, but my blushing bride has done all the work to date.

So I’d like to kick off my 2011 blogging with a quick recap of 2010, the busiest year of Bich’s life. You already know about the house (Brooke’s pictures don’t do all her hard work justice; this place is really looking good) and you likely know how much we love food and wine.

So I’m going to take a few minutes to talk about something serious that happened in my life. First, some background. When I started my new job in 2008 as a financial journalist, I was more than a bit bummed to be leaving the world of newspapers. As one friend said, the journalism was the same, but the new place would be a job. Newspapers are a way of life. That all led to a rather difficult transition period for me. I struggled for the first few months with that, but got lucky that somebody took me under their wing. That guy, David, became a true mentor and a friend.

David died Oct. 23.

It was my first adult experience with death - and in the true circle of life came just days before the birth of my best friend's son. Yes, I’d lost grandparents, as we all have, but this was different. I understand some of you have dealt with deaths even closer to home. Two of my closest friends are under 35 years old and have already lost a parent each. It’s a pain I can’t conceive, and never want to.

Still, I was beside myself after David died, and I had only known him for two-plus years. I couldn’t imagine going to work every day and not being able to do the things we did everyday. Quoting Family Guy. Testing the other’s ability to recall arcane trivia, either sporting or historical in nature. (Editor’s note: David could remember more than I’ll ever forget. The guy had the best memory of anyone I’ve ever known.) Me actually having to take the other side of the “Red Sox suck” argument. David loved his BoSox but, man, was he always dour on their chances.

Anyway, after David died, I was given his job. Two years after I made the biggest professional transition of my life, I was assuming a job of quasi-supervisory work. I got a fancy title and all the responsibility that came with it. I’ll save you the boring details of my daily routine, but suffice it to say, I’m working harder than I ever have. 

I have questions constantly, the kind of questions that only David could answer.

David built my publication into something pretty impressive. It’s a national leader in what it does, all on the backs of four reporters, including me, and a few data folks. We do things that the industry we cover has come to rely on – and we do it really, really well. Much of that is because of ideas, creativity and leadership that my friend showed.

A lot of people have told me I’m the right guy to follow David. I hope that’s true, because David left really big shoes to fill.

I’ll do my best not to trip while wearing them.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rich, that was beautiful, and a wonderful tribute to your dear friend. I do believe David was preparing you to take his place, and I have no doubt he did a great job. You are one of the brightest people I know, and you're not afraid of hard work. You love a challenge, and I know you're rising up to this one. I'm sure he's very proud of you right now, as are all of us who love you. I'm very sorry for your loss. Love, Barb

    P.S. I love that soft side of you, too, and the fact that you are man enough to show it. You've always been so very kind to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard work is a key not only to success but also to self satisfaction.I'm touched and happy the way you have written this blog.

    ReplyDelete