Sunday, June 13, 2010

Project

We're not big fans of the chandelier in the dining room, but somehow, replacing it seems like a bit of a waste right now.

Especially when I can test my abilities by spray-painting it a more updated color and bringing it back to life a bit.

It's not a pricey piece, or especially unusual, but I think a solid update will really change the character. New bulbs, a good dusting and a coat of paint, and I might have saved myself a good chunk of cash. (Plus, if I ruin the job, no harm done, and I buy a new one anyway.)

While browsing some sites, I picked up a few tips that will hopefully work:

-- Use a primer. Sure, it sounds a little "duh," but I'm impatient. Better do it right so the metallic actually sticks.

-- Instead of one heavy coat, lightly coat it multiple times for good coverage. I didn't want a high shine -- not my style -- but I did choose this in Champagne Nouveau (seemed like a pretty neutral choice) and have a little hope that it will look nice in our dining room.

What to do with this monstrosity in the kitchen, I don't know. Part of me is already growing on it -- like Tyra would say, it's ugly-pretty. (Rich's take: "This thing is shiteous. I'm going to see how fast Ricca can get in here and put recessed lighting in there instead.")

On the bright side, it is getting in the way of where I want the rack for my gorge copper pots to go. Priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment