Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday morning

From this ...


To this:


Saturday was a flurry of exhausting activity for Bich; when we look out the back window, we either despair at how much we have left or realize just how much we got done, depending on the moment. (We're not talking about the Penn State game, in case you're wondering.)


Before we finally get to aerating and seeding, we need to get rid of most of the sand from the old pool, then get some topsoil to fill it in. Thankfully, we don't need a lot ... but this sand is killing us. 

Yay, digging?


I kept telling Rich he was digging too deep, but he wasn't listening. It's like he has a vendetta against the sand. ("Die, sand, die!!!")


Underneath that tarp are bags upon bags of sand. I suppose this means we're prepared in case of a hurricane.


Lots of dead plants and small trees dug up -- still not done on that front. That poor hydrangea will probably be dug up soon, too.


Believe me, this looks a lot better than it did. A rose "bush" was one of the victims here, but it had been poorly placed and wasn't going to survive (certainly not with me as its caretaker, but it really didn't have a shot).


This back corner on the other side of the house was weeded, and we used some old bricks to flatten out the area and give us a better spot for the garden hose. This will be swept up today; it should look at least decent after today.


We find more detritus in this yard, I swear.


After we decided we'd done enough in the yard -- i.e. before we fell over -- we hit Lowe's for anchors and screws for my pot racks. Rich got these anchors and screws from Toggler, and after drilling a few holes, laughed and said, "I feel like I'm forsaking my heritage."


Funny-looking plastic things sticking out of walls.


Rich, being handy. (He really is.)


Thanks for loaning us your drill, Leeza!


Getting there.


Success! Rich got both pot racks up, with a couple of small hiccups in between, but he did it. Go, Rich. 


We then put on the new slipcovers. No, I did not have the energy to steam them or wash them first.


New pillows! Aren't they fun?


Not much of a change, but they're so clean and hole-free. 

So we finally hit the sack in a ball of exhaustion. I woke up early, like a kid on a second Christmas morning, and grabbed my beautiful toys, just waiting for a space worthy of them.


OMG, aren't they pretty???


The Babs Commemorative Wall (from Mom: kitchen cart, pots and pans, wax melter, clock).


Loooooooove.


Who's coming to dinner?


Oh, gosh, this is just fabulous. Other than an eventual kitchen renovation (new cabinets, major appliances and floor), we're pretty much done in here.

2 comments:

  1. First: Rich, I honestly didn't know you had it in you. Not that I would ever doubt you, of course. But I must say: impressive. Both of you have done an OUTSTANDING job on your new home. I love it. Can't wait to see it (in just days) ... finally. If you have a job for me, don't hesitate to ask. But... WOW -- the two of you have done sooo much work, and the house looks absolutely amazing. And a wall in my name? How awesome is that? :) Can't wait to see you, your 3 children, and your new home. Aunt Connie is excited, too !!! Love, Babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The backyard is looking great. A lot of work, yes. But you've worked your butts off and it is really beautiful. And Aunt Connie and I absolutely LOVE the "HOME" pillows. We're sure they were made just for you.

    ReplyDelete