Saturday, October 1, 2011

Basement, continued


(Sorry the video is sideways.)

Today, Rich and I got to work on undoing Irene's work in the basement.

While we were at it, I figured I'd go buy a sledgehammer and get rid of the utility sink; the township's second bulk pickup of the year is coming up, so I figured $27 for a sledgehammer was better than the $300 1-800-GOT JUNK estimated. (They did tell me to just get a sledgehammer and a couple of friends, and that it just wasn't worth it for me to pay them to take out the sink.)

Rich: I don't know what's different about a sledgehammer from a hammer, but that sledge tore through the sink in five minutes.

(To me, that can be answered by sheer physics, but it was pretty impressive. And fun.)

After the sledgehammering:




After we took out all the concrete and rotted wood:





The bare-looking spots in the white paint are where I peeled off the Drylok that was pushed up by the water.

And before I forget, this is how it looked after the 1-800-GOT JUNK guys came back in August:









(I really can't recommend all of their guys enough.
And they were cheerfully game for a photo when I told them I blog about the house.)

No comments:

Post a Comment