Saturday, September 17, 2011

Soil, grass and blisters

House of Bich is getting down and dirty this weekend.

By "down," I mean "Brooke and Rich can barely stand up, and even the tips of Brooke's fingers hurt typing this." And dirty ...


This is the second part of the delivery.




This is the third part of the delivery.

Fifteen and a half yards of dirt. 









Three bales of hay, 15 pounds of seed, three bags of Seed Aide await.




Tilled.

After receiving one estimate for upward of $6,000 to have the front and sides of the lawn torn up, replanted, mulched, etc., we decided to do it ourselves. I ordered 15 yards of soil from The Yard in Scotch Plains, and Rich and I set aside one full weekend -- this one -- to get to it.

Rich went to Home Depot this morning and rented a tiller, while I grabbed the chainsaw (yes, we own one) and took down a few small trees and bushes. And then we got to work.

Tilling.

Raking.

Shoveling.

Wheelbarrow-ing.

Dumping.

Leveling (sort of).

This is where you keep telling yourself that it'll look great in the spring, that doing it yourself will make you proud of your work, blah blah blah.

Yeah, probably. But I'm still hurting.

Tomorrow, we'll rake up the other half of the yard and put down the rest of the soil. The goal: to seed and put down the hay by sunset.

I hurt more already.

1 comment:

  1. WOW.... Brooke, that is AWESOME !!! Really awesome. I know you are sore and tired, and I know you don't feel like being proud of yourself (yet) .... but you will. Although one can be proud of the work one does outside the home, nothing compares to the feeling of working on your home and seeing the results of the work you did on your home. It truly is an accomplishment which you do together. I'm soooo very proud of you. It is very hard work. Always remember that God blesses those who work. You should feel very blessed...albeit very sore. Love always. P.S. I always try to concentrate on calories and on all the muscles I'm using that I typically never use. Helps keep you relately sane. Getting a workout while fixing up the home!!! (Said by your very frugal mother, who just watched "The Company Men for the third time.)
    P.S.S. You are going to have the best house on the street !!! Just like home, eh?

    ReplyDelete