Wednesday, July 13, 2011

House gone CRAZY!

Projects currently under way at the House of Bich:

1. The basement. I learned two things last night as I stayed up until 2 a.m. slathering Drylok (which is basically Home Depot's version of Marshmallow Fluff) on a section of the stripped-down, cleaned-off walls: This project is more ambitious than I anticipated, and boy, is it going to look a million times better when I'm done.

I've actually learned a lot more than that, such as which paint stripper to never ever use again, how long it really takes to get rid of decades of paint, how much better this stuff is already making my basement look, and that a respirator is probably the only thing keeping my brain cells intact.

No pictures yet, as Rich is not allowed in the basement. But they'll be up soon ...

2. Sidewalks! This is what I woke up to this morning.





At first, I was pissed that there was jackhammering before 7 a.m., but I remembered that it's going to be near 90 degrees today and I was sufficiently sorry.

Also, I was thrilled that Rich talked me out of planting trees before this started, because half our lawn seems to be gone. On the bright side, it was shitty anyway; they begin actual installation Monday, after they've torn out the rest of the sidewalks and installed the new curbs. And then I will talk to the landscaper.

Also-also, everyone thank Rich for not being afraid to march out to the Dumpster, talk the boss out of it and demand to know why his secretary kept giving him the runaround, then get a quote and a timeline on the spot ... all for less than what we thought we'd have to pay.

3. Landscaping (a corollary to No. 2). Once the sidewalks are done, we'll have the landscaper put down sod where the trees used to be, plant two trees in a better location, tear out all the detritus -- i.e. what the previous owner thought was "gardening" -- along the side of the house, and get the grass around the new sidewalks going.

4. New dining room table. OK, not a project, but another vast improvement to HoB. It arrives tomorrow (not last week, as I thought). Which means I need to get all the stuff from the basement back into the basement tonight ...

5. Fixing the oven. Also not a "project," per se, but it's broken. Something to do with the gas, pilot light, etc. etc. Good thing it's been too freakin' hot to use an oven these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment