Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Underground

This is the blog equivalent of airing your dirty laundry.

(Ugh, so embarrassing.)

The basement is your typical one, especially for an older home; there are layers of paint on the floors and walls, it's dirty, there's old stuff left behind from the previous owners -- and when I say previous, I mean the last two or three sets of them.

We use it for storage ... and then, starting last fall, we just started using it for "anything and everything we don't feel like dealing with right now."

For as neat as I consider myself, the basement did not meet my usual standards. But before I show the really gross state, here's our first major appliance purchase: the water heater.


YAY! (And boo to the bastard who screwed us the first time around ... but I suppose that's a story for another day.)

Here, the state of our basement just a few days ago:


April 2011




Anyone want an old fridge?






Well, that was cathartic.

But here it is now:


May 2011




Just a little neater, and empty-box-free. I'm making this a long-term project: Section by section, I'll strip off the old paint, clean, and paint the walls and floor. Because we have to use the space and we can't exactly move the washer and dryer upstairs, this'll be the easiest way to do it, and I won't put too much pressure on myself to get it done so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment